Established in 1881 with books from the libraries of monasteries and convents which had been closed, it was subsequently expanded with donations, inheritances (from Emanuele Taparelli d'Azeglio, Biagio Casalis, Casimiro Turletti and Stefano Musante) and purchases (Franchino Bookshop).
It is a general culture library but also has a significant Local Documentation Section (gift from Attilio Bonino) and an extensive Children's Section.
It also houses the Santorre di Santarosa Library, owned by the National University Library of Turin.
The Library has a heritage of about 70,000 volumes, approximately 37,000 of which make up the current selection while the remaining 33,000 are part of the historical selection and the book store.
Moreover, it also houses the Santorre di Santarosa Library, owned by the National University Library of Turin.